Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

requirements ?

Posted by Ostryg@ 
Ostryg@
requirements ?
April 19, 2003 06:05PM
what are the requirements for using cool player ?
is that more or less than winamps requirements ?
I have celeron 466MHz and usage of my processor is jumping from 0-39% by cool player when using it but I don't see that 39% (my comp is running normal)
Re: requirements ?
April 21, 2003 04:09AM
I don't know about others, but I tried out Winamp 3 and the delays are incredible over v2. Sometimes 20 seconds go by before it'll load the bitmaps (though the sound starts right away). So I dumped Winamp totally as my mp3 player and removed all associations except cda for CDs.

What I find is that CP is fast and doesn't _seem_ to take up as many resources as others; however, I haven't run it paying attention to RAM stats. All I know is that we have the freeform designs that Winamp only now just got on board with, but without the sluggishness of W3.

I do understand that my computer's specs (Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128SDRam) may be biggest part of that problem.

Latest CP is still a bit buggy on my system but it performs beautifully.

(If only the author would make a CoolPlayer for midis and I'd be in 7th heaven since CP does exactly what I need for MP3s).

Good luck!
May 10, 2003 08:35AM
Ostryg@, try switching from cooler wave mapper to directsound plugout and try turning the equaliser off. i'm on a amd k-2 450mhz and coolplayer rarely goes over 5% cpu usage.
May 10, 2003 07:01PM
But be careful, if you switch to DSound-Out, the sound quality will decrease compared to the Wave-Out.

Diapolo
May 12, 2003 08:56PM
i remember another forum user describing the difference between directsound plugout and cooler wave mapper as a fine guaze had been lifted off the sound, making the cooler wave mapper sound better. i can almost tell the difference, but for some reason it seems to consume more cpu cycles...

May 16, 2003 06:56PM
I use CP on a K6-2 450 running XP Pro with 384 PC100, and I usually get around 30% CPU for high quality VBR, 40% - 60% for OGG. It doesn't seem to slow down the computer when I am browsing the web, or doing other things though. It DOES take a LONG time to load large playlists, especially if the files are on another computer over a 10M network connection. As for memory usage... I haven't payed much attention to it, so I don't know.

I have run it on a P-90 with 16M 7nS memory and it worked good.. :-)
May 21, 2003 07:46PM
yes, long playlists (for example my collection of 3000 which i insist in loading all at once) appears to crash coolplayer for a few minutes, but it still plays fine while it is sorting out the playlist.
those processor percentages seem a little high dp250f, seeing as i have the same setupish (K6-2 450 running win2k Pro sp3.5 with 312 PC100) and coolplayer rarely makes it over 10% usage, even when i'm listening to a 320kbps vbr mp3. oggs at ~450kbps seem to barely register in the task manager, not going over 2% cpu usage.

however, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
May 28, 2003 09:41PM
I agree that they are high, but it is a crappy old Soyo 5EMA+ motherboard with a chipset that only says "ETEQ" on it. It never was very fast, even with windows 98. That system is soon to be used only as a CNC system, so it won't be a problem. It will be replaced by my main rig, an XP-2000+ !! :-)

Don't want to knock CP, but if you don't want to wait for your playlist to load, you could use XMPlay until the CP playlist is fixed. I load close to 2000 music files of all different types, and the time it takes from clicking on the icon to it loading the entire playlist and start playing is less than 2 seconds, that is on my K6-2, loading the music files off of another computer over my 10Mbit network. I'm pretty sure it stores the playlist locally and doesn't verify every file like CP seems to do.
crazyinsomniac
May 29, 2003 06:07AM
What options do you have on?
I turn off all
Read ID3 Tag (if any)
Read ID3 Tag of selected
Support ID3v2
Prefer native OGG tags
Load ID3 tags in background
Work out track lengths

That should definetly help with giant playlists
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.