Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here is something to read and chew on

Posted by Tecker 
Here is something to read and chew on
December 30, 2002 04:55PM
My CP essay - By Tecker

Ok here is what I find CoolPlayer lacking, but first I want to say this to all of the posters on the forums. STOP WHINING. (sorry for shouting). Look CP was designed to be fast, efficient, and sleek. What you want is a new Winamp 2 core. It was never meant to be that. It plays, you hear. Simple. (wow! I feel a lot better after letting that go)

Now down to business. To satisfy all of the people “needs” then here is what I think needs to be done.

Overview:
Plugins, Plugins, Plugins
Modules
Support
Vis
Output
Wave
CD
Did I miss anything?

Details:
Plugins, Plugins, Plugins. Its always about Plugins.
I bet over 50% of the forums are about plugin support. Classic Winamp (2.xx series) plugins are already supported. Just get the plugin for that. The key here is good WA plugin support. Output and Visuals will be discussed. But with all of this you want we are talking bloat city and you might want to crawl back to WA. If you need a plugin. Make one for WA and then add it to CP. Do all a favor by furthering WA plugins. But all of this is do able but one thing is necessary.

Modules.
Input plugin configuring, Output, and Visuals can all be handled by this method. The modules would either be dlls or external programs. This keeps the CP small and memory use low by being able to switch on and off the external programs.

Support
Visuals. Visuals would be nice touch. An external module to take care of the switching and configuring the plugins. WA vis could be used as well as CP plugins. A toggle in the options to turn it on and show the window would need to be added.

Output. People whine about cross fading, well heres what you do. Make an output option for the output module. Something like “External Output Plugin” under the output options. Now you can Cfade and others.

Wave. Wav files are the del facto standard for writing to cds. So what you do is make the disk writer like you promised and make it out put to a Disk Writer folder under the CP main folder. Plus wave playing support built in. You need to know if the wav file is good enough for your cd pleasure.

CD. Native cd support w/cddb support built in so you can check cds you made and powerfully listen. A bonus feature might be an option for the toggle for data instead of analog reading but hey that's extra code in the player.

Now did i leave any thing out? You tell me.

Will someone use winelib and port it to Linux if you know linux?

To all you whiners wanting lots of function and extra code chew on this:
K.I.S.S.
nocpu
Re: Here is something to read and chew on
December 30, 2002 06:48PM
I think plugin support is all thats really needed, once you have that you can write a plugin to do just about anything you want. So the core program can be left nice and small, nobody has to download more then the a single small stable coolplayer.exe file (I want it even smaller ;]) and eveyones happy, coolplayer is a very nice program.

I know this is totally off topic but does anybody know anyother really tiny free programs that dont need installing to run, I'm looking for all kinds of stuff like ftp progs, video viewers, file utilities etc.
December 31, 2002 03:01PM
}nocpu wrote:
> I know this is totally off topic but does anybody know
> anyother really tiny free programs that dont need installing to
> run, I'm looking for all kinds of stuff like ftp progs, video
> viewers, file utilities etc.

Off topic here but go to www.tinyapps.org for those small apps. I dont know about a small vid player.

In response to above, what i mean is that there is no way to configure plugins and if you look around in the forums then you can see requests for vis (yet to find output) and input whining everywhere.

The thing from above i see as necessary is the Disk Writer working. You gotta have .wav to burn to cd (unless you have a nice writing software).

Hey i thought of another thing Shoutcast radio support. CP can do the listenng but it cant pickup on the song info. Just another thought.

Will someone use winelib and port it to Linux if you know linux?

To all you whiners wanting lots of function and extra code chew on this:
K.I.S.S.
Roj
January 04, 2003 02:23AM
Forget the plugins.

Forget the skins.

Forget the fluff.

Fix the bugs (especially the playlist bugs - you know, network loading of large numbers of files crashes the app, it doesn't repaint correctly, etc.).

Give MAD full configurability in the same way as the Winamp output plugin - according to Rob Leslie all the code is there anyway and all it needs is a user interface to it.

The rest will get there if it should (and in most cases it shouldn't).

In other words:

Just get the damned thing to work properly as it is - the rest is irrelevant.

____
Roj

"Faith manages."
- jms
ACK

Diapolo
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.